Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Blog

My old blog (that I started last August) is still up and running but I will probably delete it soon because I never kept up with it and I couldn't figure out how to change things without deleting all the old stuff! I decided to start fresh with a brand new one and go from there. I will try to update it more often with new pictures for our out of town family!

Title: We were looking for a fun name (yes, I know we're cheesy)....and decided on the Hinson Herald. The word Herald means the following (taken from dictionary.com):

1.
(formerly) a royal or official messenger, esp. one representing a monarch in an ambassadorial capacity during wartime.
2.
a person or thing that precedes or comes before; forerunner; harbinger: the returning swallows, those heralds of spring.
3.
a person or thing that proclaims or announces: A good newspaper should be a herald of truth.
4.
(in the Middle Ages) an officer who arranged tournaments and other functions, announced challenges, marshaled combatants, etc., and who was later employed also to arrange processions, funerals, etc., and to regulate the use of armorial bearings.
5.
an official intermediate in rank between a king-of-arms and a pursuivant, in the Heralds' College in England or the Heralds' Office in Scotland.–verb (used with object)
6.
to give news or tidings of; announce; proclaim: a publicity campaign to herald a new film.
7.
to indicate or signal the coming of; usher in.

For those of you who know me, you know I LOVE to study. Not that I have much time these days with my two babies, but early mornings and late nights are working well for me :) My favorite thing to study is the Bible. I use the KJV, NKJV, and NASB. Anyway...I wanted to know what Herald meant exactly before I used it. I want to focus on this definition for the word herald: (formerly) a royal or official messenger, esp. one representing a monarch in an ambassadorial capacity during wartime.

When you study the history of the monarch specifically the king, he was constantly followed by a man who held the title of the kerux. When the king was absent or un-available for any reason the kerux would be his representative. His main duty was to bring the message (to herald the message) to the people when the king was out. In this particular portion of the word herald you see noted that this takes place especially during wartime. It is our job as representatives of "The King of Kings and Lord of Lords" to represent Him and herald His message to this world. In studying out the the duties of the kerux, his sole purpose was to follow the king in order to learn his ways. His ways including how he spoke, how he carried himself, how he dressed etc. The goal was for him to be so closely associated with the king that he himself took on all of the king's characteristics as to make sure that the king was the one being seen when other's looked at or heard him. The Word of God tells us that we are crucified in Christ, it's no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me (Galations 2:20). When we are surrendered and yielded to His Holy Spirit, choosing to be His hands and feet, lights in the darkness, cities on a hill that cannot be hidden, we are hidden in Christ, decreased that He might increase, we are able to represent Him in the way the kerux represented the king. The Word of God tells us we are ambassadors for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20). Just as the kerux spent time with his king to learn his ways and become more like him, so should we make time to spend with our King. This blog is for fun and for family to keep in touch with the many miles we have between us, but more importantly I would like to use this blog as an outlet to herald the message of the King. I hope to keep up with it as time allows and post words of encouragement and interesting facts as I study the Word. Zach will be posting things as well and we will add pictures of the youth group etc so that the people we know and love can live life with us even across the many miles!

Love,
Zach, Ang, Elijah, and Aviah

1 comment:

The Dovers- said...

I love the name! The Hinson Herald and The Daily Dover...lol. Let me know if you have any questions when messing with your blog..I'd be happy to help.